Thursday, March 8, 2012

Laundry Day

Okay, my Google+ account decided to log out instead of uploading all the photos from putting our furniture together and with all the suitcases and boxes and I ended up deleting them. I promise though, there will be pictures up soon. We are installing our bedroom Tempaper today. It is beyond gorgeous and will finally give me a sense of putting down roots. Pictures will follow. 

So for now I am just going to start with a little project I am tackling with some incentive from Ariel over at For the Love of Pinterest and Jillee over at "One Good Thing" By Jillee. I have been dying to make my own all-homemade-to-save-us-money laundry system. So here we go...


Laundry Stain Pre-Treater

Ingredients:
2/3 cups Dawn Dishwashing Liquid
2/3 cups Ammonia
6 Tablespoons Baking Soda
2 cups Warm Water



Step 1: Mix all ingredients in a bowl or measuring cup.
Step 2: Pour into a spray bottle. I bought mine at the Dollar Tree.. I found the recipe on Jillee's Blog here.



Laundry Detergent

This is a newer recipe that Jillee posted and I have yet to try it, but hopefully I will get through the rest of our store bought bottle so I can use what I made.

Ingredients:
3 Tablespoons Borax
3 Tablespoons Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda
2 Tablespoons Dawn Dishwashing Liquid
4 Cups Boiling Water

Step 1: Mix the Borax, Washing Soda, and Dawn in a separate container while the water comes to a boil.
Step 2: Add all ingredients into your designated gallon container. *Be careful not to burn yourself like I did!*
Step 3: Let mixture cool.
Step 4: Fill the remainder of the container with cool water. Its okay if the suds overflow the container. Just don't lose the liquid itself.


To Use: Put in about 1/2 cup per load of laundry.

Laundry Freshener

I took the advice of Jillee again and am currently obsessed with the Downy Unstopables. My absolutely favorite scent is Lush. I even tried to match our laundry detergent scent to help keep our laundry smelling amazing longer.



Dryer Sheets

I actually got this idea from Ariel over at For the Love of Pinterest. I love this idea and I can't wait to try it!

Ingredients:
Your favorite fabric softener (I love this Snuggle Exhilaration White Lavender & Sandalwood)
Water
Container with a screw on lid (I love to drop things so plastic made more sense than glass)
Hand towels/t-shirts or whatever you have

Step 1: Cut up your towels/shirts into dryer sheets sized pieces
Step 2: Make a mixture of 1 part Softener to 2 parts water
Step 3: Shove the pieces down into your container and shake to get everything covered. 


To use: Just pull one out, wring it out a little, and throw it in the dryer. When you are done with the load, just throw it back in the container to be used again.

P.S. - Since we have a stacked washer/dryer in our new place, I made about twice as many dryer sheets as I normally would since we are doing twice as many loads of laundry.


I know this took FOREVER to post this, but I hope it helped at least 1 person out. It is going to save us so much money instead of using store bought products. I am also glad to be getting rid of so many chemicals from our house.

No comments:

Post a Comment