Monday, January 28, 2013

Packing For a Month Using Only Carry On Luggage - Part 3

This week we will be discussing multipurpose products and what I have found to shrink our packing list tremendously.

I have found that using products that can serve more than one purpose is the ultimate way to save space in our luggage. Whether that be a sunscreen with built-in bug repellant or a scarf that can double as a blanket on the plane and a shaw over your little black dress.

The ways I am saving space for our trip are as easy as asking myself "what other function can this item serve?" Now I know that not all items can be duel purpose. Your underwear will not be able to double as anything else, but that oversized ring can double as a brooch when you pull your scarf through it.

I am limiting all of my cosmetics and personal hygiene items into one quart sized bag. Yes, you heard me right. One bag. No separate toiletry bags for hair, makeup, hygiene, and other miscellaneous things you think you might need. There is no need for it and definitely no space. If you are traveling like we are to mostly theme parks with a few nice dinners and a couple weddings, there are guaranteed to be soap and shampoo that you can use at your destinations. No need to pack up your entire makeup collection. Come up with a simple everyday look you can wear to the parks and a snazzier version of your everyday look for the nicer dinners and weddings. There is no reason to bring 5 different eyeliners when you only use 2 even when you are home.

Now, I will be bringing those sample conditioner packets with me since I have very very damaged hair (that's what you get for dying your hair every month for over a decade.). Although once those are used up, I don't have to worry about transporting them anymore. Try to bring as many disposable things as you can. The further into your trip the lighter your luggage gets.

These are some of the multipurpose items we are bringing with us:
The Urban Decay Naked Basics Palette. With 5 matte colors and 1 highlighter shade, there are dozens of looks I can come up with for any occasion. Plus it is half the size of most palettes. Mine was $27 from Sephora.com. You can pick up your own here.


Black Convertible Dress. Instead of bringing multiple dresses, I am bringing one convertible knee length dress made of a jersey material that won't wrinkle and can be worn over a hundred different ways for any occasion. I got mine from this Etsy shop for $87. With over a hundred styles, that breaks down to less than $.87 per dress! You can't beat that!

Blue Dress


Simple One Color Dress. I like the ability to take one dress and transform it to be a pool or beach cover up during the day and then transform it into a dress for dinner with just a few accessory changes and change of shoes. I have this one from Modcloth.com that I got for $44.99. I am going to dress it up with a  simple brown belt and my tan flats.
Rebecca's "Dress" Shoes


Simple Black and Tan Flats. Wearing flats with no embellishments means you open up the ability to wear your shoes to an afternoon lunch or to a more formal event. These are more practical for me especially since I am not very comfortable in heels. These pack a lot nicer too and take up virtually no space. I got mine from Target.com for $39.99 a pair. So much better than $250 a pair for the Tory Burch ones.

Sunscreen

Sunscreen with Anti-Bug. I know that some people might just buy the Banana Boat, Coppertone, or other well-know brands, but with my husband's allergy to Aloe Vera, my allergy to Coconut, and our goal of using less chemicals in our lives plus saving room in our suitcases, I have found that the Badger brand sunscreen with built in anti-bug to be our best bet. It combines two products into one and does doesn't contain anything that could ruin our vacation. It may be a bit on the expensive side, but our safety and the dual functionality make it worth the cost for our family. It retails for about $17 per bottle and I purchase ours at Whole Foods Market or www.badgerbalm.com.

David's Dress Shirts


Plain Dress Shirts for My Husband. Dress shirts do not have to be expensive for them to look nice. The dress shirts my husband is bringing are in three solids colors from Target.com. They are very reasonably priced at $22.99 and can be worn with different ties to change up the look. We are bringing white, gray, and blue shirts with 5 ties that will be rolled up and put in his dress shoes.

Some items we are bring that will save us space in our luggage are mesh shorts for the parks, soap nuts and reusable dryer balls for laundry, and Eagle Creek Pack-It Cubes to corral all our unmentionables! I am also planning on having my nails done before we leave so I don't have to bring all the things that go with painting your nails.

Next time we will be discussing the condensed packing list David and I are using for our trip.

Well, until next time - Toodles!

No comments:

Post a Comment